In 1943, America was in a great world war. Young men were going to fight for their country. The civilian population of Louisville was working in war production at places like Naval Ordinance, L&N Railroad, and the Louisville Medical Depot. The Kenwood/South Louisville community had new people, new homes, and new businesses but few churches.
Commissioned by Walnut Street Baptist Church, Richard Bryant arrived in Kenwood by cable car. Surveying the neighborhoods, he soon found others with a passion for the Gospel and interested in planting a church. Thus, Kenwood Baptist Church was born out of a desire to reach the community.
The church originally met in the homes of its various founding members. Over the years the church grew exponentially. Moving from location to location, Kenwood Baptist went through various changes and additions until it finally moved in to its current home on South Third Street in 1956.
In the intervening years, South Louisville has changed a lot. New faces have moved into the neighborhood. New families have taken root. But Kenwood Baptist Church has never lost the desire of its founding members–to reach the community with the love of Christ.